In this modern era which is full of technology, it just feels like Wi-Fi has become the phone’s OXYGEN. It is funny but true. Without any internet connection, a phone looks empty and not of much use other than calling and SMS like the traditional phones used to be. What is the use of getting a smartphone then?
Everybody somewhere or the other has faced the issue or a dire need to get Wi-Fi somehow because of some stuck urgent work or maybe because of boredom. Everybody tries to provide this oxygen or Wi-Fi to their phone to keep it lively. At home it is still fine because the Wi-Fi is easily accessible, but what if you go out and cannot ask for the Wi-Fi password bluntly?
Sometimes, we also connect to a particular network once and then maybe in the future when we tend to use it again after some time we forget the password. For example, you used a friend’s wi-fi a few weeks ago and now you have to use it again but the friend is not around to tell the password, then you can continue doing these techniques listed below. These techniques will also help you if you ever forgot your own network’s password hence saving you from getting into a long conversation with your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Here are some hacks to make situations like these bearable and know the Wi-Fi password of that place on your own.
Android smartphones secretly provide Wi-Fi passwords without you knowing it, that too without getting your phone rooted.
For Android Version 9 (Pie) or previous, here are the steps to know the wifi password:
(i) By rooting your phone:
- First of all start with enabling the developer mode on your phone by going into settings, then system and finally in about phone, keep on scrolling until you get the build number. Start tapping on the build number at least seven times to enable the developer mode. Doing this will result in a pop up message stating that “You are now a developer”.
- Go on a previous screen in your smartphone and look for developer options over there. Tap on it followed by going into the USB Debugging and then turning it ON.
- Get ADB Drivers and Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool on your personal computer which will connect your android phone to your computer over a USB Connection i.e. you will have to connect your smartphone to the computer or laptop with a USB cable for data transfer.
- Connection with your computer will be established and after that open Minimal ADB and Fastboot app, this will open cmd (command prompt). In this command prompt type <pre>adb pull/data/misc.wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf</pre> and then go ahead by pressing Enter.
- After this, the wpa_supplicant.conf file will be copied to your computer in the same folder as Minimal ADB and Fastboot is present in. You can reach out to this file by navigating to this location using File Explorer.
- The final step is to do a right click on this file and open with Notepad to find the password of the desired wifi network.
Also Read: How To Extend Battery Life of Smartphones
(ii) Without rooting your phone:
- On your smartphone, go to the google play store and download the Wi-Fi password viewer application. This is an application which will allow you to view or access the wifi password without even getting into a mess of rooting your phone.
- After installing it, you just have to simply let it grant root access to your phone, so that it can do the required work without doing the actual rooting of the phone.
- Its main page will display all the previously and frequently connected and saved Wi-Fi networks to your smartphone. From here, choose the one of which you want to know the password of.
- Select the share option from the pop up list, for sharing the password of the selected network with your mates using the share menu.
For Android Version 10 or later, here are the steps to know the wifi password:
- Visit the mobile settings and tap on Wi-Fi. Doing this will display all the previously saved networks that you have been on and some of the available Wi-Fi networks that are in your affinity.
- Tap on the settings icon across the particular network of which you want to know the password. After doing this, two options will pop up which are “QR code” and “Tap to Share Password”.
- In this situation, take a screenshot of the QR code and try to scan this QR code either with the help of an internal QR code scanner or some external scanner which can be easily downloaded from the play store itself.
- After scanning, you might be able to view the name and password of your wanted Wi-Fi network.